Tuesday 24 August 2010

What film inspired your teaching?

Why Tampopo makes me a better teacher.

For those who don't know, Tampopo is a Japanese film about a single mother who runs a Noodle bar and has to overcome many trials and tribulations to become the best bar in town. I think of it as a cross between the Food and Drink Show and Monty Python, with a hint of Western and 'The A Team' thrown in. Although I am sure that there are many better ways of describing it.

Anyway, here's why it makes me a better teacher:
1. It links between food and transcendant experiences with ease - I think being able to rapidly ascend and descend Maslow's heirarchy is a key to engaging children in education.
2. Not only do the bullies lose, but they make friends with the lonely child. That's hope on a stick.
3. It demonstrates you can learn things from unlikely people.
4. The experts in it are young, old, male, female, rich and poor - the heart of the unconference.
5. It shows that the links between people are as important as the actual knowledge they hold.

So what film inspires you?

Sent from my thingamajig

No comments:

Post a Comment